Thursday, January 2, 2014

A Review of Ylvis's "What Does The Fox Say?" video.

Happy New Year, everyone! Dana here. I apologize for the lack of blog posts for the past few weeks. Finals week, seeing the Misfits with my boyfriend and best friend, Christmas, New Years, quitting my job at CVS and getting a new one at Costume America had me occupied for several weeks. For that, I sincerely apologize. If you didn't catch my latest blog post, I reviewed Carrie Underwood's portrayal as Maria von Trapp on NBC's live performance of The Sound of Music . Tonight, I'm gonna do something semi-different. It's gonna be a music review, but not my thoughts and input on a CD by an artist or band. It's a MUSIC VIDEO review. I normally review music videos of bands that I enjoy. Tonight, I'm feeling adventurous. Since 2013 just ended, I figured it would be appropriate to review the most popular and viral video of the past year...I am reviewing that viral, idiotic music video of Ylvis's "What Does The Fox Say?" 

Alright, let's start with a walk-through of the video, shall we? So anyway, the video begins with a fade in of some house with a bunch of people wearing animal costumes. I figured maybe it was a silly cosplay or it's a costume party, where everyone is dressed up in animal suits, having some drinks, dancing, and simply enjoying each other's company. Then the singer begins by singing "Dog goes woof, cat goes meow, bird goes tweet, and mouse goes squeak," correlating with various people dressed as a dog, a cat, a bird, and a mouse, respectively. The beginning of this kind of music video reminds me of something that would be shown in a pre-school or a kindergarten classroom; for young kids to learn what kind of sounds various animals make. I wasn't quite sure why nursery-rhyme related lyrics would cause a video to go viral, so I continued to watch some more.

Then, the lyrics are "Cow goes moo, frog goes croak, and the elephant goes toot," once again correlating with various characters dressed as a cow, a frog, and an elephant, respectively. I then began to wonder why this song, with lyrics like this, managed to become viral and reach millions of views in less than twenty four hours. I'm pretty sure young children aren't the target audience of this video, so how on earth did this video spread like the plague?


Next, the lyrics are "Ducks say quack, and fish go blub, and the seal goes ow ow ow, but there's one sound that no one knows..." Suddenly, the singer appears wearing a fox costume and sings "What does the fox say? Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringerding...Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding! Gering-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding!" in a high pitched squeaky voice with various people dancing while dressed in fox costumes as if they were performing in a flash mob. He then begins to make indescribable sounds that go along with the rhythm of this "song," and continues to have other people dancing in fox costumes. My eyes widened with horror as I began to think "what the hell..." throughout the rest of the video.

The singer then begins to describe what a fox looks like and what it does on a daily basis. He sings "Big blue eyes, pointy nose, chasing mice, and digging holes. Tiny paws, up the hill, suddenly you're standing still. Your fur is red, so beautiful, like an angel in disguise" with shots of a legitimate fox walking through a forest. That, I have to say, is pretty cool. Unless it was CGI'd, having a fox on set is pretty awesome. Then, he begins to wonder if the fox would communicate with other animals; horses in particular, and if they would talk to each other via morse code or not. Unless the "morse code" lyric is supposed to be metaphorical, the idea of animals using morse code is pretty stupid, in my opinion. Maybe the "morse code" lyric was put their solely to rhyme with horse...but regardless of that thought, the lyrics could have a much better meaning than something so basic and concrete.

The chorus is repeated back with indescribable sounds with more people dancing in fox costumes, and once again, my head shook in disgust and my frustration towards its popularity significantly increased. The singer closes the song by wondering if the world will ever know what kind of a sound a fox makes. Wait, hold on. Didn't he just spend a good portion of this song making idiotic sounds of what he thinks a fox makes? So why the hell did he even bother singing that last verse? That was a complete waste of time, and a waste of my time as well.


Seriously, can I have my three minutes and forty five seconds back, please? This was by far one of the most ridiculous pieces of garbage I've ever seen in my entire life. I've seen and listened to Rebecca Black's "Friday," Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe," PSY's "Gangnam Style," and various viral videos for the past few years, but this is might just be the worst of them all. How did something so asinine like this become the frickin' Gangnam Style of 2013? Since it's launch, I've observed various people quoting it in their Facebook statuses, posting the video itself, or they would tweet about it on Twitter. Heck, I even saw T-shirts that have "What Does The Fox Say?" printed on the front of said T-shirts in various stores in the mall, so I would really like to know why are so many people fascinated with something so ridiculous? Was it funny? Was it catchy? Was it talented? If it was funny, I would be laughing. Perhaps my taste in humor is different from others, but I didn't smile at all during the three minutes and forty-five seconds of the video. Instead, my eyes widened and I felt like my IQ was dropped to the IQ of a neanderthal. I can't believe this is the kind of video that goes viral throughout the world. This is the kind of video that people are more fascinated with than actual art that people work so hard to create.

Sure, it was a little catchy. After listening to it, the song would be playing over and over in my head, but I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it again. I wouldn't be singing it or downloading it to my iPod, that's for sure.
The only talent I would give this video would be the choreography. To have multiple people make the exact same dance moves takes a lot of effort and practice, so I'll give them that. Musically and lyrically? Absolutely not. Mindless and empty lyrics do not make a good song, and certainly shouldn't be the biggest and most popular song of 2013. So many underground bands and artists put their hearts, souls, blood, sweat, and tears into their music...yet they barely make enough money to put gas in their cars. I don't understand why mindless lyrics get so much attention, yet heartfelt and meaningful lyrics get passed by as if it was a load of garbage on the side of a dirt road. How this video has approximately 320,212,610 views is beyond my wildest dreams, but for some strange reason, the world seems to love it.

Well, everyone, that was my two cents on "What Does The Fox Say?" and almost everything that goes on in the video. I certainly have no interest in watching it again, and hopefully one day this video will fade into the back of people's memories, and more talented and meaningful videos will become more viral.
Thank you for reading, and enjoy the rest of the weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I can't wait for this song to be forgotten like the others. Those shirts with lyrics on them are going to look sooooooooooooo outdated soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, give it another few months and people are gonna say "what the hell are you talking about?"

    ReplyDelete