Tuesday, April 29, 2014

23 Unknown Facts About Me

Hi everyone, Dana here. Last week, I did a hookah bar review! If you didn't know, I am twenty-three years old today. Since it's my birthday, I figured I'd do something fun and different! Now that I've been on this planet for twenty-three years now, I'm gonna tell you twenty three things you probably don't know about me! Hope you like it!



1) I have never been to Disney World.

That's right. Almost everyone I ever met in my life has gone to Disney at least once in his or her lifetime. Whether it was with their family, a school trip, when they were really little, or just recently, they've been there. Well ladies and gentleman, I have never gone. I don't know a damn thing about it. I don't know about the rides, I don't know about the scenery, I don't know about what's new or old, or anything. I always get looked at as if I have three heads when I say "I've never been to Disney." I had the opportunity to go there when I was in 10th grade, but I got sick and didn't feel comfortable sharing a hotel room with a bunch of girls I wasn't friends with. Whatever, I'll go there eventually.


2) I'm a light sleeper.

For many years, I was able to sleep through ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, and I wouldn't wake up. I used to be able to sleep through thunderstorms, alarm clocks, people snoring, falling objects, people talking, anything, you name it. Now, if I hear the littlest sound in my room, outside my room, or anywhere I'm sleeping, I wake up instantly and I cannot fall back asleep no matter how many hours I was asleep for. I don't understand what changed, but I wish I was a heavier sleeper.



3) I don't like Finding Nemo.

Everyone I ever met, no matter how old they are, absolutely adored the movie Finding Nemo.  They quote it, shared memes made out of it, and can watch it over and over and not get sick of it. I guess I'm the only person on this planet who never cared for it. I felt that the beginning was depressing as hell. A barracuda attacks the happy fishy couple, knocks Marlin unconscious, murders his wife, destroys all but one of their eggs, and Marlin finds only one egg slightly damaged, but calls it "Nemo," because it was a name his now-deceased wife adored. That's so sad! I nearly cried when that happened. So after Marlin pisses Nemo off at a field trip, Nemo sneaks off and gets captured by a scuba diver. After that, it's an hour and a half of finding him. I essentially fell asleep a half hour in because I was so bored. I'm probably gonna get angry comments about this fact about me.


4) I passed my road test the first time taking it.


It's been over five years since I've had my driver's licence, but a lot of people I met after graduating high school never really knew that I passed my road test the first time taking it. The topic was never really brought up, but yeah, I passed it the first time. Not many people can do it, so I guess that's cool or something.




5) I've had a concussion.

Concussions suck. Your head hurts, you're confused, you don't remember a lot of things, and you spend the day in the hospital. I was ten years old, fell out of a tree in my backyard, and spent the rest of the afternoon and evening in the hospital. I had X-rays, an MRI and a cat scan taken, and I don't remember a lot of things that happened before the concussion and in between the tests taken at the hospital. All I know is that I was in the tree, and then the next thing I knew, I was on the ground, on my back, in pain, and not knowing a damn thing what just happened. To this day, I have no idea how I fell out of that tree. Please be careful, and don't get a concussion.




6) I have never seen the movie Frozen.

Essentially everyone I know saw the movie Frozen, and raved about it. Apparently the songs are good, the storyline is good, there are memorable quotes, blah blah blah. Personally, I have no interest in it. Just because everyone in the country says it's good, and commercials tell me it's good, doesn't mean I think it will be good. "Oh, but Dana, how do you know you won't like it if you've never seen it?" How about I'll see it on my own time, when I feel like it, and after the hype dies down? Sue me.




7) I have an 8 gig iPod from 2007.

If you've been in my car, you've probably noticed the tiny little iPod attached to the mp3 radio transmitter or have seen me at school or on the train listening to my iPod. But did you know that it's the first and only iPod I ever had? Everyone else I know got rid of their first iPod after a few months because the new one came out, broke their iPods, or even got an iPhone and dumped the iPod completely. Not me. I love that iPod. That iPod has gotten me through the worst times of my life, gotten me through all the times I was scared, and even left the country with me. I am never getting rid of this iPod as long as it's alive.



8) I can cook.

Most of the time, I'm seen eating food that my parents made, or me and a friend or two go out for lunch or dinner. But very rarely do they know that I can actually make a full meal and can feed multiple people. Yes, people have had my guacamole that I make at parties, but don't know that I can make more than that. Let me make you something awesome sometime.




9) I prefer books over movies and TV shows.

Despite the numerous movie and television reviews I made, I actually prefer reading a book than watching a new TV show or going to the movies. I can snuggle up on the couch or in my bed and allow myself to be absorbed into the book. I don't have anyone talking to me or interrupting me while reading. I can also stop at any chapter I want. With movies, you have to watch it from beginning to end, non-stop. I also prefer imagining what the characters look like, what their voices sound like, and what the imagery looks like as well. It's much more fun that way.




10) I have motherly qualities, but I'm afraid of having kids.

I can cook, sew, do laundry, wash dishes, everything "a mom" does. I'm also extremely nurturing. I hug people, allow people to cry on my shoulder, soothe that person who is crying on my shoulder, and can take care of someone who's at an all-time low point. I love being someone's rock. But the thought of being pregnant for 9 months and taking care of a baby absolutely terrifies me. I don't even know why. Perhaps it's because I'm 23 and way too young to be thinking about settling down and having kids. But everyone likes to have fun to talk about what their potential kids will be like. Me? I don't want to think about it.




11) I can play chess.

With the exception of my friends who went to high school with me, not a lot of people know that I play chess and used to compete in chess tournaments in high school. I have a few trophies for winning 1st place, or close to 1st place multiple times. It's been a long time since I played, but it's something that I can do.



12) I have never been to Yankee Stadium.

You'd think that a Yankee fan would go to Yankee Stadium to root for their team. Hell, even non-Yankee fans have been there! Not me! Well, let's just say I never had the money to go, nor did I ever have anyone to go with. I always wanted to go there before the old stadium got knocked down, and I have yet to go to the one they built in 2009. Hopefully I'll go there...like Disney.



13)Fast food doesn't agree with my stomach.

I don't know if it's because it's been out for a long time, the person preparing it didn't wash his/her hands, or I'm allergic to the oils it's cooked in, but every time I eat something from McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's, Taco Bell or any other fast food joint, my stomach wants to explode. I either feel nauseous, or it goes right through me and I feel like death for the rest of the day. I'd rather starve for the rest of the evening than have an upset stomach.




14) I prefer Pepsi over Coca Cola.

Yes, there's a difference between Pepsi and Coca Cola. Yes, they taste different. And a good portion of my friends prefer Coke over Pepsi. I'm the opposite. If I feel like splurging, and the place I'm at has Coke products, I'll take the Coke. I won't get annoyed over the fact that they don't have Pepsi, but I honestly prefer the taste of Pepsi over Coca Cola. 



15) My very first concert was Ringo Starr.

That's right. Ten year old me saw an ex-Beatle live in concert, and it was the very first concert I ever went to. With everyone else in my general age group, their first concerts were some of the popular artists and bands in the late 90's and early 2000's like Britney Spears, *Nsync, Blink-182, Christina Aguilera, Green Day, etc. When Ringo Starr performed at Jones Beach Theater, I was probably the only preteen in the audience that night; aside from my brother.



16) I am a human GPS.

I have an excellent sense of direction. I pay attention to street signs, exits on the highway, and other landmarks that are close to my destination. If I go somewhere once, I know exactly how to get there again in the future. I can get from point A to point B and not get lost. Sure, I might accidentally make a wrong turn or miss an exit, but I know that I have to head in a certain direction to get to my destination without panicking. You're lost? You need directions? I'm your girl.



17) I have never smoked a cigarette in my life.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people I know have tried at least ONE cigarette in his or her lifetime. They either tried it once and HATED it, tried and and continued to smoke, or tried it, smoked, and then later quit. I was never asked to try it, and I cannot stand the smell or cigarettes. If it smells bad, then it most likely tastes bad. I have no interest in smoking a cigarette, and I never will.




18) I use proper spelling and grammar in my text messages.

With the exception of "lol," "lmao," or "idk," I don't really use 
"text message language" while texting my friends, or anyone else. I don't use "wht" "u" "ppl" "cmn" "2nite" "thnx" or any other abbreviations in my messages. I feel proper spelling and grammar is much more effective than abbreviations. But then again, I get annoyed when I see poor spelling and grammar on social media websites, so I would never do anything that I find annoying.



19) I used to play softball in middle school and high school.

Baseball is my favorite sport. But because Massapequa's baseball team was dominantly men, the girls who wanted to play baseball had to play softball.  I loved playing softball. But unfortunately, I never made the cut for the junior varsity or varsity team in middle school and high school. So, when the varsity girls would play on the Massapequa International team, they played in the in-field EVERY SINGLE INNING WE PLAYED. I was ALWAYS in the outfield, and played second base ONCE, despite how well I played that inning. They played favorites, and I was never one of them. I quit after I turned 16; when the season ended. I was tired of always being put off to the side and they never allowed me to prove how well I played.




20) I haven't thrown up since 2003.

I have this irrational fear of throwing up, or people throwing up. I physically cannot have it happen to me or anyone around me. I'm not kidding. The sight, the smell, the feel, the sound, everything about it literally causes me to have an anxiety attack. I run, I cuff my ears, close my eyes, hum really loudly, and my heart literally gallops out of my chest. Because of this fear, I refuse to allow myself to get sick. The last time I did, was from food poisoning from some pizza place after a field trip in 7th grade. I've come close to it after drinking a little too much alcohol, but it never happened. So, when the topic of being sick comes up, I say that I'm "vomit free since 2003!" My stomach is a champ, I guess.




21) I don't drink beer.

Oh, look at that. The alcohol fact is number 21. I'm serious, I didn't plan that. But all jokes aside, I've tried every beer out there. From the garbage beers like Coors Light and Bud Light to Guinness and Heineken, they all taste the same to me, and I don't like it one bit. If my mouth doesn't like it, I won't drink it. I don't drink to get drunk. However, I do enjoy a glass of Pinot Gritio with dinner or a nice fruity mixed drink. And of course, throw in a splash of rum or vodka in there too. I'm not much of a drinker to begin with. But if I do, it's not beer.




22) I keep my phone on 24/7.

You know when people say "If you need someone to talk to, call me?" I actually mean it and keep my word for it. There used to be a time where I'd turn my phone off before falling asleep at night. But when I just so happened to accidentally leave my phone on, a friend called me and I talked to that friend until everything was okay again. From that moment on, I realized that things can get really bad. If you know my number and you desperately need to talk to someone because you're having a crisis, you can call me. I don't care what time it is, I don't care if I'm asleep, I don't care if I have work the next day. You think the unthinkable and need someone, don't hesitate to talk to me.




23) Being twenty-three keeps me awake at night.

I graduated college. I got my Associate's Degree from Nassau Community College, and a Bachelor's Degree from Queens College. I am a college graduate. But...now what? Really, now what? That's the question that literally keeps me up at night. I'm twenty-three years old and I have no idea what I'm going to do for the rest of my life. I have an 
idea of what I want in my life, but I'm just a number now. I'm one out of a million college graduates scrambling for an entry-level job from my field of study. My dream job would being able to write for a living. To blog for whatever company I'm working for. To utilize my skills and make money off of it; what a dream come true. But everyone wants to do that. So...what makes me special? What makes me stand out? I'll never know until I'm the lucky one who is chosen out of the thousands of applicants they meet. Until then...I'm here. The aspiring writer. The hopeless dreamer.



Well everyone, I'm twenty three, and you got twenty-three facts you most likely didn't know about me. I hope you liked this personal, intimate blog post from yours truly. Stay tuned for next week for a special blog post that I've never done before: a memoir. Until then, enjoy the rest of your week.

3 comments:

  1. You're a very talented writer, don't give up on your dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.
      I wish I knew who you were.

      Delete
  2. Hi my Dana Lou, I LOVE your blog. This is my first time ever reading someone's blog. Guess I'm dating myself. I'm out of the loop, as they say. No more, now I plan to read your blog all the time. Of course, I'm partial, you're my beautiful niece and a wonderful, kind, intelligent and intuitive young lady. Love you so much, Your Aunt Lou xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete