Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Mystique: A hookah bar in Westbury, NY

Hi everyone, Dana here. If you didn't catch my last blog post, I put my two cents on why Joan Jett should have been an inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Tonight's blog post is a review, but not a music/film/TV review! It's a hookah bar review! I decided that I'll start adding restaurants, bars, venues and other places to my reviews list! If you live on Long Island and smoke hookah, I suggest you try out Mystique in Westbury, NY! If you live far out in Suffolk County and you're willing to drive to Westbury, I'll be really impressed!


Mystique is located on Old Country Road in Westbury, in the corner of this tiny little shopping center. If you weren't looking carefully, you would pass by it and not even realize it was there! So, the location might be a little tough to find, but once we got there, things started to look up.

So last night, I went on a double date with my boyfriend and two of our friends who suggested that we go to Mystique. As soon as we walked in, we were greeted by the host and were seated immediately since it was a quiet night. The staff seemed to be very friendly and welcoming, so I already started to like it. I've worked customer service for many years, so I know how to treat customers and I certainly know how staff is supposed to treat customers.

The atmosphere was really great as well. Comfortable couches, authentic Middle Eastern paintings on the walls, pleasant lighting, and GOOD music that was played at a normal volume so you can actually have a conversation with the person next to you without shouting. Yes, I didn't have to yell "what?!?!" or yell to the person next to me if I had something to say. Music such as The Beatles, Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World, The Doors, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and other rock/alternative music was played instead of the typical hip hop/dub step music played at other hookah bars I've visited. 

I have nothing against hip hop, rap, or dub step music, but clearly, I prefer listening to rock music when I want to relax and have a good time with my friends while smoking hookah. Literally, as soon as we walked in, "Come Together" by The Beatles greeted us. I was expecting Skrillex or other music that is played at bars, hookah lounges, or any other place that would be considered a "party scene." If I come to a place of business and you greet me with good music, I'll be a very happy patron.

The service itself was a little slow, despite that it was as slow night. However, I feel that taking their time to get the hookah to us means that they want us to have the best experience possible. We're able to relax, catch up, have a drink or two, etc. If the hookah was given to us minutes after we ordered the flavors, I would have been under the impression that it was rushed and they want us out as fast as possible.

They have a really great variety of flavors to choose from, and they all were decently priced as well. We got two flavors: "Mexican Odyssey" and "The Godfather." Mexican Odyssey had a very fruity flavor, while the Godfather tasted like cappuccino! I also loved that after an hour and a half of smoking, the flavors never died off or got harsh. Other places I've been do, they had to change the coals or purge the stale smoke from the base of the hookah multiple times. They only had to change the coals once because it was a while since they came back to us.

The only criticism I have about this place is that they don't sell any food, so going on an empty stomach is a bad idea. I also found it weird that there's a maximum of three people to one hookah, so if you have a fourth person, you have to get a second hookah; even if the fourth person won't smoke. Other than the lack of food and forced pay, it was one of the best hookah bar experiences I ever went to. I would definitely love to come back here again in the near future.

Thank you so much for reading my review, and enjoy the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment