Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Job Hunting and Rejection Letters

Hey everyone, Dana here. A few weeks ago, I did a movie review about Dumb and Dumber To. Tonight, I'm changing it up. I'm not reviewing anything, I'm not putting my two cents into anything viral or trending online or in the news, and it isn't any other observation. I'm here to share my experience of applying to hundreds of jobs, and out of the hundreds I sent my resume to, I either got the automated "We will contact you only if we feel you're a good fit for our company," or rejection letters. I'm here to let you know that you're not alone and you will find your place. Let me tell you about all of the rejections I dealt with...


I almost lost hope when I graduated college and didn't have a "real job" lined up. I spent endless nights crying my eyes out and wondering why they didn't pick me, why they didn't give me a chance to get interviewed, yada yada yada. But after almost a year of editing my resume, sending into human resources offices of said companies I applied to, I finally landed somewhere; and you will too. If you're feeling discouraged, hopeless, or just plain down in the dumps because you've been rejected by multiple job opportunities or any other big step in your life, please remember that it's okay to feel sad. You don't have to explain that to anyone. But don't lose hope. Something will come your way. I promise.

Let's start with the first rejection (aside from asking a person out on a date) a person deals with when applying to places: college rejection. Before I graduated high school, I applied to SUNY schools and CUNY schools and I got rejected by all of them except for Nassau Community College. Why? Because my SAT scores were trash. I went to Nassau Community College for two years, got kickass grades, and earned myself an Associate's Degree! Yay, right? Wrong! Take a look here:

See that? When I was 20 years old, Queens College rejected me when I was about to graduate from Nassau Community College in 2011. I sent them my college transcript, high school transcript, and every other paperwork they asked me to mail them. Because I got a D in Math 101 at NCC, Queens College refused to accept me into their school. I was on the verge of giving up because the colleges I applied to didn't accept me. But I didn't give up. My future was on hold, and I wasn't planning on giving up without a fight. Much to my dismay, I returned to Nassau Community College after I graduated to re-take Math 101. I spent my summer studying the one subject I couldn't stand. It was the worst summer ever. But it was either suffer with math for two months, or don't go to college. I survived math and got accepted to Queens College. I even graduated two years later. But believe me, it was NOT an easy two years. I applied to dozens of internships, and I either got the automated "we will contact you only if we feel you're a good fit," or the following rejection letters:





Out of all of the internships I applied to and got rejected by, I only got accepted by ONE. But guess what? It didn't even work out for me. I didn't get hired afterwards either because they promoted the other intern to be a full-time employee over me. Guess what else happened? I didn't get paid for it; I didn't even get college credit for it, so I didn't graduate on time. I had take an extra semester during my senior year. I was horrified, but I didn't let go. I then decided to stop looking for internships and start applying to real, paid jobs. I started with the banks and credit card companies, but take a look here:



You'd think that a girl who has poor math skills would stay as far away from banks and using numbers, right? Well, I was desperate for a job following my college graduation. I was looking for ANYTHING. But despite my qualifications of having an Associate's Degree and having a lot of experience with customer service, I STILL got rejected. I'm a stubborn girl and kept trying. I then decided to take a different route: apply to jobs via temp agencies. But that didn't even work out:

I couldn't even get hired as a temporary employee. And the worst part about all of these rejections is that I didn't even get interviewed by any of these companies. I literally got rejected before they even got a chance to hear my voice or see my face. Because they didn't like the way I looked on a piece of paper, they dismissed me before they even got a chance to know me. The company I currently work at even rejected me the first time because they felt another candidate was a better match for them. But guess what? They called me back for a different position, and I got the job offer less than an hour after the interview took place. 

For the past two years, I've learned that for every bad thing that happens in life, something good and better will come out in the end. I don't mean to throw in movie quotes, but "If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything." Rejection is a heartbreaking thing to go through, but all it can do is make you stronger. Yes, it's discouraging. Yes, it will make you want to give up and throw everything you accomplished away. Yes, it's okay to feel that way. But don't actually lose hope. You'll get through this. 

Thank you for reading, everyone. I hope my experience has given you the strength to keep going with whatever struggles you have so far. The future is a scary thing; hell, I'm even still afraid of it. But I'd like to end this blog with a quote by Doctor Emmett Brown from Back To The Future Part III: "Your future hasn't been written yet. No one's has. Your future is whatever you make it. So make it a good one."

3 comments:

  1. Great blog as always, Dana. I het rejected from jobs all the time. Its tough, but I never let it get me down. It's a tough job market now. People don't realize that. But it will get better, you just have to hang in there, and keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have read this like six months ago. So glad we're both employed now, and good luck to everyone still looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think there is anyone out there that hasn't faced some level of rejection at some point in their lives whether it be socially, professionally, or otherwise. It can be very hard. I was also rejected by my first and second choice schools. This is a great article that reminds us we are not alone in the face of rejection.

    Mariano Flanders @ Andiamo! Group

    ReplyDelete