Wednesday, February 10, 2016

A Review of Raw Dangle

Hi everyone, Dana here. It's been quite sometime since I last posted here. I went to Japan for two weeks, played a show with my band, played the lovely game of "catch up" at my job, and spending as much time outside as possible when it's not snowing every other weekend. It's good to be back, and to have inspiration to write again. I've discovered a new local Long Island band today: Raw Dangle.
Danny Lewis and Matt Davis

Raw Dangle is a two piece alternative blues/folk band consisting of lead vocalist/guitarrist Danny Lewis, and drummer Matt Davis. Hailing from Nassau County, this band was founded in 2011, and after many years of writing songs and playing live shows throughout the island, Raw Dangle just released their debut EP, Loyal Dog.

Let's break this EP down track by track, shall we?

Track 1: Do You Believe?

The EP begins with an acoustic guitar that reminds me of Flogging Molly's "Float." You can clearly tell that they've got folk roots along with Danny's vocal's added about thirty seconds in. With the acoustic guitar and the soothing vocals, it sounds like something Bob Dylan would write. After about two minutes in, the drums join in and a part of me just wants to simply get up and dance. I can close my eyes and imagine a crowd of people just having a great time with this song...drink in hand, of course. This is a great opening track; I think it might be my favorite off of this EP. Then again, I have a thing for opening tracks on albums I've listened to. With the kind of sound this song has, it makes you want to have more from what this CD is giving you.


Track 2: Treat Me(How You Want):

The opening riff and rhythm reminds me of something you'd hear on The Beatles' Revolver or White Album. If I was to pick one Beatles song that comes to mind when I hear this track, it would be "Savoy Truffle." What I find really cool about this track, is that it's got this syncopated funk feel on top of the folk/blues sound you'd hear when The Beatles experimented with different sounds in the mid/late 60's. Even Danny's voice pays homage to George Harrison here. There's so many different layers of sounds that create this sound I've never really heard from other local bands I've checked out/seen before. I can imagine this song being played on the radio station 90.7, or The Alternate Side.


Track 3: Forty-Niner

Forty-Niner opens up with Matt's drums, and a funky bass riff. As a bass player, I'm a sucker for bass breaks, or anything where you hear nothing but pure rhythm. Not too much later, Danny's vocals come in. Afterl listening to this song a couple of times, I noticed something really cool. Some of Raw Dangle's inspirations include, but not limited to, The Black Keys and The White Stripes; I can hear both bands with this track in particular. There's a difference between literally taking something a band has once created, and paying tribute/homage as a compliment to them. The song ends with Danny's guitar solo as the song fades out. I'd love to hear this song live sometime.



Track 4: Creatures Come Around

Like the opening track "Do You Believe," "Creatures Come Around" opens with the guitar and then Matt's drums join in not too much later; as if it's two book ends complimenting the other. The only difference is, "Do You Believe" opens with an acoustic guitar and "Creature Come Around" opens with an electric guitar. I catch myself bopping my head numerous times throughout this song. The different stops give depth and uniqueness to this song. I can't begin to describe how many times I've listened to an album and the song just keeps the same rhythm, with no changes/stops or any rest. Towards the end of the song, a mini jam session along with Danny's guitar solo kicks in as the song and closing track of the EP comes to an end.


I'm going to be honest here. I've never heard of Raw Dangle until Matt added me on Facebook and asked me to review his band's EP. I sure am glad I did, because I never would have known about these guys unless my band happened to be playing the same night as them at the same venue. With the type of music I play and usually into, I'm all about the loud, fast, raw punk sound. You normally wouldn't catch me listening to alternative/ blues band, but these guys have me hooked. Raw Dangle has great potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store for the future. Check them out on FacebookTwitterYouTube, and Instagram: @rawdangle.

Thank you for checking out Raw Dangle, and I will write again soon. Until then, enjoy the rest of the week, and weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment