Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Dowling College Closure

Hey everyone, Dana here. Happy first day of June! It's been a little while since I posted here, but a certain controversial incident has come my way while taking a break in my job's employee lounge this morning. Yes, ladies and gents, I'm actually writing something else aside from local band reviews. (YAY.) If you live on Long Island, you probably just found out about this last night as well, and I'm here to put my two cents into this: the closing of Dowling College.

Okay, so I never went to Dowling. I got my Associates from Nassau Community College and then got my Bachelor's from Queens College, but I've driven past Dowling on the way out east. Beautiful campus, I must say. I also have friends who graduated from there and they have really fond memories during their time as undergraduates. And there are thousands of students who are enrolled there, or will be enrolled following their high school graduation from all over the country. But just last night, every enrolled student/soon-to-be enrolled student/ received an email that Dowling College is closing down, and have until Friday to pick up their transcripts to enroll in another educational institution elsewhere before they permanently close their doors.
Hold up a second. Wait. You're meaning to tell all of these college students that they have less than 48 hours to get paperwork to continue their education, without given any notice MONTHS AGO to make other life changing decisions? If this school was having such financial problems, why didn't they inform the students at the beginning of the spring semester, or even earlier? 48 hours notice? Seriously? Were the students even aware of this?


Something doesn't add up here. Why would Dowling College fail to notify their students that they are permanently closing their doors less than 48 hours in advance? I can't even imagine the overwhelming stress these students have right now. If I was in their situation, I'd probably be losing my mind right now. It kills me that there are students who are in a Master's program, perhaps a semester or two away from getting their Bachelor's or Master's Degree, and now they have to start all over. I heard that Molloy College is looking to help the Dowling students out with this catastrophic situation, but will Molloy get them to where they're supposed to be? i.e take all of their credits? If they do get accepted into a new school, great, but will that school take the credits without a degree?  A lot of people I know transfered to different schools without an Associate's, and the school they transfered to either took a few credits here and there, or none at all. More importantly, I really hope that these students are getting refunded for having their classes cancelled on them less than 12 hours ago. 



Aside from the students getting completely screwed over, what about the professors? Where are they going to teach? What about the professors that don't teach the basic math, sciences, history, or English? The arts and humanities professors who have been teaching at that school for so many years now have to figure out where they can go from here. All of these students and professors have to go to the Registrar, pay some kind of fee, and then their transcript gets mailed to them within a week or two. But guess what? There's a chance that the colleges that they apply to won't even accept them since it's way past the enrollment deadline. That's really unfair. I'm extremely disappointed with how Dowling College handled this financial crisis.

If you're a Dowling College student/professor and are reading this, I really do give you the absolute best of luck and positive thoughts in this awful situation. I really feel for you, and I hope that whatever place you end up going to takes care of you the best they can. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I'll return to the writing realm in the near future.

Love and prayers,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment